With the summer sun approaching us in all its glory, it’s only natural to have all-natural tanning oils and lotions to help you get that perfectly sun-kissed summer vibe. Check out our collection of recipes that will give you the perfect tan and the most luminous skin:
Tanning lotion for a golden tan
- 3 black tea teabags: acts as a natural dye to help with the color and is rich in antioxidants
- Lanolin or beeswax: acts as an emollient; it locks in the moisture and helps the tan last longer.
- Coconut oil: acts as a magnifying glass to the UV rays and keeps the skin hydrated
Brew the tea bags in 3/4 cup of hot water.
Mix 1/4 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup of lanolin or beeswax and 1/4 cup of the brewed tea in a blender.
Slow down the blender and add in the remaining cup of tea.
Tanning oil for dry skin
- 4 tablespoons Avocado oil: Repairs skin and tightly locks in moisture
- 4 tablespoons Calendula essential oil: derived from Marigold flowers, Calendula oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-septic properties to help avoid infections and bacteria
- 4 tablespoons Hazelnut oil: Preserves color, provides a golden glow, protects from UV rays and hydrates skin
- 4 tablespoons Sesame oil: a natural sunscreen and helps in detoxifying skin
- 4 tablespoons Walnut oil: Fights wrinkles and is extremely rich in antioxidants
- 4 tablespoons Wheat-germ oil: Nourishes the skin with its abundance of minerals and is naturally high in SPF.
Mix all ingredients together in a bottle with a spray nozzle, to keep it a mess-free experience, and shake thoroughly. This concoction is not waterproof, so remember to re-apply every two hours and after bathing.
Tanning oil with a high SPF
- 2 drops carrot seed essential oil: high in SPF, protects the skin from UV damage, locks in moisture and enhances color
- 1/2 cup Wheat-germ oil
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil: disinfects and enhances circulation
- 1/2 cup Macadamia nut oil: repairs damaged skin and unclogs pores
- 5 drops Sandalwood essential oil: acts an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and soothes the skin
Mix ingredients in a container, preferably one that is sealable, and shake until thoroughly mixed. Keep the container in the shade to elongate its shelf life.
For a darker tan
- Extra virgin Coconut oil or Olive oil
- Carrot juice
Mix half a cup of your preferred oil and a 10 to 15 drops of carrot juice. Mix thoroughly and re-apply every two hours.