Spring has arrived and the barbeque open-air season is officially opened. But barbeque is not any barbeque, it’s all in the marinade and the secret recipes that make a great grill! Check out these fingerlickin’ recipes for your next spring gathering.
The Grill – Surf and Turf
(Best of meat and shrimp)
(Best of Side Entrees)
Buffalo Steaks (serves 4)
Buffalo is a wonderfully flavorful, lower-fat alternative to beef. Searing these steaks directly over a hot fire keeps them tender and moist.
For the steaks:
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 buffalo strip steaks
- To make the steaks: Combine all ingredients except steaks. Rub on both sides of the steaks, cover, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Grill steaks over Direct High heat for 8 to 12 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time, or until desired doneness.
Spicy Steak Marinade (serves 4)
The marinade makes the steak so watch out how you prepare your steaks.
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 675 gm rump or sirloin steak
- Blend all the marinade ingredients together in a large flat dish. Add the steak and leave to marinate for at least an hour or over night in a refrigerator.
- Place on a barbecue or under a pre-heated grill and cook, turning occasionally, basting with any remaining marinade.
New York Steaks with Roquefort Butter BBQ Recipe (serves 4)
Butter is great on a steak but butter blended with blue cheese and garlic takes steak to the level of great steakhouses.
For the butter:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese, such as Roquefort
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 New York strip steaks, about 250gm
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges
- To make the butter: In a small bowl combine all the butter ingredients. With the back of a fork mash the butter mixture together until evenly distributed.
- Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling. Lightly brush or spray both sides of the steaks with olive oil. Season them with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. Serve warm with the butter smeared over the top and lemon wedges served on the side.
Sweet and Spicy Shrimp Kebabs (serves 6-8)
Great zippy flavor and perfect finger food for entertaining guests at your barbeque.
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chilli pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound jumbo shrimps, shelled and de-veined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the honey, chilli pepper, and salt. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes or in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Remove from the marinade and discard any remaining marinade.
- Thread the shrimp through the tail and head (2 or 3 per skewer) onto small skewers.
- Grill over Direct High heat for 2 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Arrange skewers on a serving dish and sprinkle with the cilantro.
Mashed Potatoes (serves 4)
Mashed potatoes are no novelty but surely a must among the side dishes.
- 1kg potatoes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 100ml milk
- Salt and pepper
- Grated cheese
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Wash and boil potatoes. Once cooked, wash under cold water and peel with your hands.
- Mash potatoes with a hand masher and slowly add the butter and milk to smoothen the puree.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- For cheese lovers add the grated cheese while the puree is still being mashed and hot. You can add some garlic powder if you want.
A healthy side dish that delights any fine steak.
- 2 Tomatoes
- 6 capsicum, 2 of each color
- 2 zucchini
- 1 eggplant
- Wash all vegetables and cut into thick stripes.
- Put them within the meat on the grill for a few minutes until cross.
- sprinkle cilantro on the vegetables.
Garden Salad (serves 4)
A vitamin bomb that is easy to prepare and a must to complete the meal!
- 2 Tomatoes
- 6 capsicum, 2 of each color
- 2 cucumber
- 1 can sweet corn
- Iceberg salad
- Roman Lettuce
- Chinese lettuce
- Green olives
- Vinaigrette: 3 tsp Olive oil, 1 tspvinegar, salt and pepper, 1tsp mustard
- Wash and cut all in bite size pieces.
- Cut the leafy salads with your hand in bite size pieces.
- Mix in a salad bowl.
- Mix vinaigrette ingredients and pour over salad right before serving.