One thing that all women worry about is hair-fall. Whilst men seem to be able to get away with going bald with pride, we generally experience shame and embarrassment when the quality of our hair seems to fade and our luscious locks begin to thin. The closed Facebook group, ‘The Hair Addict’ is now everyone’s favorite go-to for keeping up with hair trends and it is full of people asking for advice for hair-fall problems. But have no fear, you don’t have to start saving up for hair transplants and searching for wigs, it turns out that eating certain foods can have a big impact on the health of your hair!
So here are our 7 fabulous foods that prevent hair fall:
1) Spinach– One of the main reasons for hair-fall among women is iron deficiency, so eating iron-rich foods like spinach are a must! Having spinach regularly not only boosts your iron, but it also contains omega-3 acids, magnesium, potassium and calcium, all of which ensure that you can maintain a gorgeous head of healthy hair.
2) Greek Yogurt- Dairy products, in particular low-fat yogurt, are full of essential B Vitamins, in particular B5 and B7. Whilst B5 helps to improve hair follicle health, B7 specifically reduces hair loss! Extra tip: If you aren’t a fan of eating yogurt, it can also make the perfect ingredient for a hair mask.
3) Eggs- Eggs are packed with so many things that are good for your hair, eating them on a daily basis really can do wonders to prevent hair-fall! Packed full of proteins, Vitamin B12, iron, zinc, Omega 6 fatty acids and biotin, eggs should be at the core of any hair-care diet.
4) Walnuts– Nuts contain plenty of natural oils that boost the elastin in your hair. This elastin stops your hair from breaking as easily and as an added bonus is great for your nails too! Walnuts in particular contains a whole load of other nutrients; biotin, B vitamins, Vitamin E, plenty of protein and magnesium, all of which are essential for strong hair cuticles and a healthy scalp.
5) Carrots– Stocked full of beta-carotene which our body converts to Vitamin A, carrots as well as sweet potatoes both improve hair growth, making your hair look thick and gorgeous. And with their amazing scalp-protecting oils, they also prevent a dry, itchy scalp.
6) Oats & Barley – Oats and Barley are a magical hair-care duo. The fibre, zinc, iron, omega-6 fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids in oats make it one of our power-foods for having healthy-looking hair. Whilst its natural companion, Barley contains plenty of Vitamin E which can help to repair sun damage to the scalp which is one of the main causes of hair-thinning.
7) Bok Choy– Another iron-rich food that is proven to reduce hair loss is Bok Choy. So pick some up from your local grocery store and get eating, because according to dermatologists, the boost it gives to your ferritin level promises better quality hair.
So make sure you eat at least some of these foods every day, and you can say goodbye to your hair-fall worries and say hello to healthy luscious locks!