Facial care is not only about daily hygiene, regular facial masks and makeup remover. It also involves putting makeup expiry dates into consideration and understanding how critical it is to pay attention to every product’s real PAO (period after opening).
Since most makeup products do not have PAO indications, there are some simple expiry signs to keep an eye out for:
- If the product’s smell, color or texture has changed, then it is crucial that you throw it away immediately.
- Another thing is if any makeup item is exposed to the sun or any kind of heat for a long time, do not take the risk of keeping it and harming your face without knowing.
- Leaving your makeup open by accident increases the risk of its expiration as well as bacterial contamination, which could lead to infection. Toss it out; your face is worth more!
“If the product’s smell, color or texture has changed, then it is crucial that you throw it away immediately”
I know how hard it is to let go of your favorite lipstick or the perfect shade of concealer but abiding by makeup expiry dates saves you the risk of skin irritation, eye infections and breakouts. Having a regular “expiry date makeup schedule” is the safest method to avoid any risks. Here’s your guide to makeup expiry dates:
- Mascara — 3 months. (Some say 6 months, but many cosmetics experts, including Dalton James, recommend 3 months)
- Liquid Foundation and Concealer — 6 to 12 months.
- Cream Blush and Eyeshadow — 6 to 12 months.
- Powder Blush and Eyeshadow — 1 year.
- Eyeliner and Lip Liner Pencils — Up to 2 years.
- Liquid Eyeliner — 6 months or less.
- Lipstick — 1 year.
- Moisturizers and Skin Care — 1 to 2 years.
If you want to make sure your makeup does not go bad before its expected lifespan and make it last longer, always make sure you keep it away from any heat. This means never forget your makeup bag in your car and avoid applying your makeup in steamy bathrooms. Also, keep your fingers away from the neck of the bottle of any cosmetics product you regularly use and never, ever share mascara or eyeliners!
Facebook page: www.facebook.com/MakeupArtistMaiAyman
Instagram handle: @by_maiayman
Mai Ayman is a professional makeup artist who has passionately excelled in bridal makeup, special effects and fashion shoots. She is accredited from Mohamed Abdel-Hamid makeup School which is sponsore